Have you ever wondered – in which “mental drawer” do your consumers put your brand?
You can find the answer to this question in a concept we call top of mind awareness, which denotes the consumers’ awareness of brands within a particular industry or product category.
By measuring the time it takes to answer questions like “which brand from category X do you prefer the most?” we can find out how confident the respondent is in their answer, and based on the results we can determine the position of your brand in the market, and plan your marketing efforts accordingly.
Why is it important to be top of mind in the consumers’ perception?
These are some of the benefits:
- The position of the brand in the subconsciousness and memory of consumers influences their buying choices. Brands that are easier for consumers to remember are more often chosen in shopping and are often the market leaders in their product category.
- Brands positioned as top of mind in consumers’ memory don’t need to invest as much marketing effort in brand awareness campaigns.
- According to the latest research*, the top of mind method can explain up to 94% of the proportion of variance in the market.
What does using the top of mind concept look like in practice?
With an open-ended question, we can find out which brand is at the “top” of the consumers’ memory.
With a multiple-choice question, we can find out which brand the respondent prefers when several different brands are offered to them at the same time. In other words, we can find out the respondents’ preference.
Using the top of mind concept in practice – results example
- Brand 1 is dominant in his product category.
- Brand 3 and 4 are behind Brand 1 by an average of 60 percentile points, however they’re fighting for second place.
- Brand 2, 5 and 6 are neither mentioned nor selected, so they’re not shown in the graph.
If you want to find out where your brand is situated in the memory of your consumers, contact us.
Have any questions?
or CALL +385 91 293 55 55